Miley and her friends at YSA are gearing up for Global Youth Service Day, April 20-22, when kids around the world will do good in their communities. Here are 10 ways that you can Get Ur Good On in March, so that you’re ready for the BEST GYSD ever in April.
1. March is Best Buddies month, so “spread the word to end the word” by taking the pledge promote the new r-word: respect at www.bestbuddies.org
2. Register your Global Youth Service Day project on our map and see where others are doing their projects! Not registered for a project yet? Check out the idea page for ways to get involved doing the things you love most.
3. Start a community garden, volunteer at a food bank or hold a food drive for National Nutrition Month. Find out how to eat right and tell your friends!
4. Keep America Beautiful is doing the Great American Cleanup this month. Help out your community by picking up trash, planting a garden or cleaning up a park in your community and join millions of others as the volunteer around the nation.
5. Your efforts with the Global Youth Service Day can win you a Jefferson Award! When you register your GYSD project at www.GYSD.org/register by April 1 you are automatically entered into the Youth Service Challenge. The top prize is a trip for two students and one chaperone to the 40th Anniversary Gala in Washington, DC this June. Cash prizes are being awarded for best projects in multiple categories including health and wellness, hunger, the environment, and more! Other prizes include local and national celebrity visits. www.youthservicechallenge.org
6. This month, the Girl Scouts celebrate 100 years of helping communities and volunteering. Thank a Girl Scout for all their hard work this week or check out all the different ways that a Girl Scout can get her good on!
7. March 22 is World Water Day -- this year’s initiative is about water and food scarcity. See how you can help at www.worldwaterday.net, and check YSA for future grants dealing with childhood hunger.
9. National Red Cross Month is underway. Celebrate with them by holding a supplies drive for soldiers, a blood drive or help aid in disaster relief.
10. Find a service project in your community and see how you can help at gysd.org. And get ready for an excellent Global Youth Service Day 2012!